Wednesday 7 October 2015

Analogue Communique. Thinking and Practice.

Analogue communique is all about creating hand rendered typography to communicate a message. Using characters within a specific format, we were asked to be creative with our approach to typography and lettering. This is an opportunity to be experimental and playful with ideas and approach, within a prosaic structure. Although the initial output will be physical, there will be scope for ideas to be developed digitally into animation. Adding time as a tool to the project creates another area for play which offers many other solutions. We will be asked to consider the individual letter forms as part of a communicated message, but also as a graphic symbol, pictorially, as a character, or as shape. A good project here will be one where we attempt to experiment as much as possible, try new things and enjoy exploring a simple aesthetic. Although the majority of the brief initially requires creating images on paper, good drawing technique is by no means an advantage, and this brief will be judged on the our willingness to play with ideas and the endeavour shown therein.

In this lesson we were expected to;
1. Decide on our chosen message.
2. Generate thumbnails of initial ideas.
3. Work to a preferred potential layout.

"I am fine" - what is thought to be one of the most common lies ever told.
"Fine" is such a bland word that, I think, a lot of people use it to glamourise the fact they're not. 
I think will this brief, I want to create an animation using the phrase "I am fine" to try and demonstrate the double meaning of it.


"I AM FINE" 1.


"I AM FINE" 2.


"I AM FINE" 3.


"I AM FINE" 4.

These are my four different experiments using different type styles. I want it to look as simple as possible, because it's quite a delicate subject. However, I really love the last two designs I made. I think they stick to my planned simplicity, yet hold a little more depth, intriguing an audience. 




For inspiration for my last two ideas I looked at the book "Hand Job" by Michael Perry.