Thursday 30 October 2014

Adobe Illustrator tutorial.



In our second tutorial, or introduction session, we were looking at the Adobe Illustrator software. My personal aim for this week was to try and understand some of the basic tricks of using Illustrator and I had never used it before.

As I was new to Illustrator it took me quite a while to get used to the Pen tool without getting too frustrated by it.

To create my illustration of Marilyn Monroe using the Pen tool, I started by drawing an outline of her face, using a photograph, to create a Vector.



Every time I created a Vector of a different feature, i.e. her face, hair, neck, eyes, lashes, nose, mouth etc... I made sure they were all separate layers.

Once I got all my initial layers there, with all the important detail in place, I wanted to make my Monroe look more realistic, if you like. I think by adding the shadows under her chin and in her hair helped me achieve the more realistic look I was going for and defines the character a lot.




This session was mainly based on creating an understanding on how to create Vectors using the Pen tool. I think that my Monroe face was very successful as it was the first experience I have had using Adobe Illustrator.